Sunday, November 25, 2007

Busy Sunday

I've been keeping myself (and D.) busy today. Started of making marmalade for the first time of my life this morning. Or actually, I started yesterday by peeling and slicing a couple of oranges and a couple of limes. After some boiling they were put away in the fridge and came out to be finished this morning. I don't really know what it tastes like yet, we tried some of what was left in the pan after putting most of it into cans. Interesting, marmalade making. I guess I will have to give it a few more tries before I get the knack. I have several photos of different stages, and I'm trying to come up with a plan of how to get them here.

That was just before I realised that it was time to start baking. I'm cooking soup tomorrow. That's a tradition at work. Some of the people there group together and cook a soup for each other once a month. Basically, it's cooking once per semester, and eating once every month. But I promised to bring bread too. So I started to make bread, while we were doing the laundry at the same time. Or rather, D. did most of the laundrying things while I tried to keep track of what was going on in the kitchen. We also managed to make a very boring lunch that did look extremely good in the cookbook somewhere around here.

After finishing the laundry, more or less we decided that we needed a good dinner to make up for the bad lunch. So D. made a soup that maybe should be described as cream of celeriac? Root of celery pureed with some onion and some potato. Delicious! (I really like creamy soups) The roasted peppers added both flavour and color. Meantime, I had a try making lemon souffle. First time ever I made a sweet souffle... I have made a cheese souffle before, but sweet was slightly different. It turned out good though, but should maybe have stayed in the oven for a minute ore two longer. We were so busy eating it that we didn't take any pictures anyway.

So, busy experimenting Sunday. The bread is still in the fridge, to be baked of tomorrow morning. D. is putting the dried laundry into its place, and I suspect that if I don't go join him soon he will think I'm trying to sneak away from the laundry totally today. So I better quit writing.

(But I'm so full after soup and souffle that I'm not sure I can walk over to the next room.)

No comments: