Sunday, November 18, 2007

Books, books, books

I keep buying too many books, both fiction and food books. This weekend I got some help (he's usually happy to help with this) from D., the man I'm sharing both a kitchen and a life with. I ended up with for example "Bröd & Marmelad från Rosendals Trädgård" (Bread and Marmelade from The Rosendal Garden in English. Or maybe jam rather than marmelade? I'm not 100% certain of the difference, and what to translate how) which was the first book I ever read that was serious about bread, from which I made my first sourdough. That was back in 2002 maybe, and I had only borrowed the book from the library, then forgotten which one it was. I bought it because someone recomended it, and realising it was the same as the one I read years ago made me very happy to have bought it. Since I used up my last sourdough a week ago, I just considered startin up a new one. Maybe I'll use the recipe that got me hooked in the first place...

We also bought "Den hemlige kocken" (The secret cook) about which it has been a lot of talk around here recently. For those who haven't heard (it's in Swedish after all) it's about what the food people buy really contains and how it's treated by the food industry. Maybe I'll get back to this book later this week. But - so far not to many surprises. On the other hand, I'm the definitive food nerd, reading ingredient lists on most things we buy. Still, some things are kind of funny, and others kind of gross...

No comments: