Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Simplest Sallad - A Childhood Favourite

Being back in town means that I plan to post a little more regularly, so I'll start that off today by admitting to still love this simple salad. It's maybe a little bit childish, and not very elegant, but I can't help it, this time of the year it's so perfectly simple to make for any kind of quick dinner. I used to love this salad when I was little, and I still do. It was almost destroyed by the school kitchen, where they used more coarsely grated carrots, and too little, or maybe no orange at all, but my love for the good stuff survived. It's so simple, and most people might already either make it, or think it not worth making, but I'm going to put it here anyway. Just because I like it so much. To make it, you need a couple of carrots, I used three rather large one for the bowl in the photo. You also need an orange. Peel and grate the carrots on the finer side of a grater. (A coarser grate can be fine too, but in this combination with oranges the carrots become nicely juicy if grated finely.) Peel the orange and slice it in slices slightly less than a cm. Make the slices the way so that each slice can be easily divided into several parts by hand. Remove seeds. Mix together and eat.
If you're two people who like it a lot, this is enough for a side salad to go with one meal. If you don't like it as much as we do, it keeps well in the fridge.

No comments: